View Single Post
Old 05-12-21, 06:45 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
Today, while riding (every time I'm riding, actually), I was having this exact thought. The soft crunch of rolling over wet dirt and light gravel, small pebbles and rocks crackling against each other, being spit out, smacking against the metal fenders. Cushiony, low-pressure tires humming, gliding over snapping sticks, zippers jingling against each other as you ride over tiny mounds. Phantom sounds from inside your bag(s) as the contents get jostled around — somehow hollow and woody even though it's all made of plastic and metal. That mechanical, ratcheting freewheel/cassette. So foreign and out of place in nature, but also somehow in harmony with it all. It almost feels like a disruption to pedal sometimes. And then you nudge the shifter, and it clunks solidly into the next gear, and you spin away.
Awesome detailed description and yeah man, what he said. i was just out riding on a maintained gravel trail yesterday and although focusing a lot on the terrain as i was riding, all those things you mentioned were happening in my ears. I'll have to pay more attention next time.