Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
56 x 11:

That personal detail screams out for a photo of your legs.
One word........recumbent. I would think a 56/11 would be pretty necessary with even a light tailwind on a recumbent. I wouldn't really expect super high cadences on a recumbent either. 56/11 at 80 rpm or so is 32mph. Nothing for a recumbent. I run a 60t and 12/25 on the normal diamond frame TT bike. And I'm far from very strong at all. You just gear it for the terrain/wind you encounter.

It's pretty clear given the posts above that even if the guy has demonstrated those values with the run and his recumbent.......he has no clue what he's talking about otherwise and is going on my block list. Nobody in the same post can say "it is pretty complicated and your understanding is not quite there." but then turn around and blindly post Coggan's old ftp chart. Years and years ago even Coggan himself stated he didn't feel anybody blindly re-posting that chart on the internet "gets it". Either on Slowtwitch or on the private Wattage chat group I'm pretty sure I've seen posts he made about that. So, anytime somebody blindly posts up Coggan's old ftp chart picture............be on the ready........ready for possible BS.

So, that's a big clue that we're probably the ones closer to having the understanding.

Then, it took several posts of prodding to get out that now the difference from the max run HR of 183 versus the recumbent 350w 5min at 137 bpm isn't right........somehow he now says the delta there is 20. Which is exactly what I said above is a value that would seem more reasonable. 10, 20, even 30. But not 60. Just for the record...........it is posted above 183bpm for that run, and that they did 350w for 5min on a recumbent at 137 bpm. 183-137 is 56bpm difference. NOT 20bpm. But for some reason we went from the 56bpm delta now to 20bpm.

I did a quick search and read on the user's other BF posts so far and it's just too much. Between this topic dragging out and the $1000 skinsuit humblebrag in the other topic.....and another one where he humbebrag drops some weird 200 mile 20,000ft climbing ride post.....I'm out. Done.

For the OP:
I recommend some Trainerroad podcasts. Guests with known good credentials covering these topics. It may take some digging, but I'm pretty sure they cover ftp and VO2 max testing along with plenty of heart rate stuff. Even if not a subscriber pretty sure you can listen to them. Better than listening to folks on Bikeforums at this point.

Maybe start with this search:
https://www.trainerroad.com/blog/?s=max+heart
Likes For burnthesheep: