Old 05-13-21, 03:21 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 1,590 Posts
it does seem like this thread is asking "got any custom bikes?"...

well, I've got two that I've shared a number of times in other threads, but let me offer them again.

The first was built by a small builder in Marshalltown, Iowa in 1989/90 time frame. He was a retired mechanical engineer who was having fun making mostly tandems, but also some singles. The focus on tandems led him to do mostly fillet brazing, which was certainly a novelty at that time. A fun detail is the gothic(?) letter B cut out of copper pipe that is used as the head badge.

The other is a touring/commuting/travel bike built by Rich Powers in Arlington Heights, IL back in 2000. Rich was (is?) a teacher, but did frame work as a hobby. He was listed on the S&S web site and was active on the Internet-BOB list at the time. This frame had a lot more weird little details than the one Borthwick made for me, so getting these worked out took a little time. There's probably some advantage to just making one style of frame and not having to spend a ton of time with customers haggling over details.
One fun detail was that Rich provided photos of the frame during the build process....

but it looks pretty good with paint too.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: