View Single Post
Old 05-17-21, 07:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Cygolite stuff is truly high quality. And their service is very good, too.

Of course, some of us disagree with @veganbikes about flashing. And Cygolite headlights have a so-called steady-flash mode where it is always on and has a high-intensity blink every second or so. You can see with it at night, and it definitely gets my attention when it's on someone else's bike, so I suspect it gets other people's attentions, too. I lost my Cygolite headlight, so I don't have a steady-flash headlight anymore, and I'm getting by fine, but it's not a bad thing to have or use, depending on conditions.
I can't see when people start flashing and strobing front lights and it is quite dangerous. There is also the chance someone in the opposite direction will move towards that flashing light.

If we were using STVzO lights at a proper height then maybe the flashing might not be as bad but with a good bright beam with a good beam shape I really don't need to flash unless I am in an emergency situation like say a ambulance. Maybe if the bike light was warmer it might also help out but I don't feel the need to make it more dangerous for other road users so I keep it solid. If I absolutely had to flash and blink then I would find a very low lumen light to do that with and have it pointing farther down so it doesn't get into anyone's eyes.