View Single Post
Old 05-19-21, 04:39 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8400 Post(s)
Liked 9,316 Times in 4,572 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
That's sexy as hell!! I'm admittedly out of touch with most modern MTB trends, but recent poking around on websites, I'm seeing a lot of bikes in the 28+ range.
Specializing has created multiple categories where there used to just be mountain bikes. Now, beside XC, there are trail bikes, and enduro and now they're making something in between XC and trail called "down country". They still make downhill race bikes and freeride bikes (downhill light).

Then there are wheel sizes, 27.5 or 29. Tires come in different widths and weights. When I rode a 26er XC bike my lighter tires were around 500 grams. The bike I have came with 825 gram tires and it's a 27.5 enduro type bike. Tires can be had for my bike upwards of 1200 grams. Those would be for sharp rocks.

If I had the disposable income I would get a light XC type bike for certain rides. The enduro bike I have will handle rough descents and rocks but it's not a fast climber. I think the extra suspension and slack geometry makes up for my mistakes on the trail. It weighs about 32 pounds stock.
Likes For big john: