patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tekhna
I think there are two parts to this-Many many years of building a huge base, as well as cycling unlike the vast majority of sports is low-impact, which allows older folks to continue beyond the normal ages of most sports.
Another part of this is that my training partner Jack went to college on a full track scholarship. I think his best mile was 4:10 or so. Faster than I ever was - maybe a 5:04 or so, probably could have gotten that down to 4::50 or less with a season of specific training - but I doubt sub 4:45 would have ever been possible for me. Genetics does help, and you don't lose that edge as you get older. Not in your age group at least.

God knows how fast Jack would have been racing a bike @ age 30. I don't think he started until he was in his mid-40's.

As for 30mph+ TT times - you're talking national championship/pro caliber there. In the real world of amateur racing 25mph+ at ANY age is very respectable. And ultimately relatively few racrers really crack that one hour barrier.

Faster than 25+ mph for 60 year olds? Well in 2002 in Jersey that Joe Sailing time was the best time. And NJ is a big state with lots of amateur racers. I'm sure there are a few guys that can beat Joe nationally. But they're not in NJ. And I'd bet he can crush 99% of the weenies here. At 60 : ).

Remember I don't have to ride the same speed as some kid to hold his wheel. I only have to put out 90% or less of his energy to suck his wheel. That means to ride me OFF it he has to go 28mph to my 25mph. Which is the beauty of cycling isn't it? If my presence pisses you off - ride me off your wheel big boy. THAT's how old guys like me still hammer. Lots of training and the finely honed art of wheel sucking science....

By the way, I once yelled at Mr. Sailing in a race in Central Park (he cut me off on the Harlem hill) - and was later told that I dissed one of the local amateur racing legends. Sorry Joe.

Last edited by patentcad; 02-21-06 at 08:47 PM.