Old 05-23-21, 07:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I am not convinced that pulling on the bars in a steep climb is necessarily wasted energy. That pull helps engage your torso over the bars, which allows you to put more downward force into the pedals.

You've probably seen pro cyclists climbing steep grades, rocking their torsos side to side and downwards on each pedal down stroke. They are using the upper bodies to put as much force into the pedals as they can. They're also using their arms to move their torsos.

Just today, I went up a short but steep grade with a fairly high gear, in the saddle.

With hands in the drops and chest leaning over the bars, I was rocking my shoulders side to side, pulling gently back on the bars on each pedal stroke. It felt powerful, and I made it to the top without dropping my cadence. I couldn't have done that without the use of my torso and arms.

Watch this cyclist use his upper body to climb a super steep grade:

Credit: GCN

I realized today, and I think this video bears me out, that I'm pulling on the bars in part (at least) to counteract the sway in my hips as I climb. Definitely helps generate power.