burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
There are thousands of post on pedaling in circles. Yet the more or less horizontal position I have on my trike seems to end up in pretty much a push pull situation.

I have no proof but it seems to me that this push pull actions allows me to put out a lot more power that I did on an upright position on a DF bike. It could also be acquiring "recumbent legs" after all these years on bents. It has been 16 years on bents.
A recumbent makes a primary component of the discussion null......hip angle. It's wide open. Additionally I would assume the seated position is superior for delivering power without relying on as many supporting core/arm muscles also (but I'd let you tell us that, as that's an assumption).

So part of it is that you're already in a far superior hip angle situation one way or another. As stated before, often a primary reason folks make a lot less power on their TT bike than their road bike. And a primary driver of UCI rules against TT bikes.....prevent TT bike riders from adopting a prone-recumbent position. Folks who "get" that tend to understand TT bike fit and do well with it as you understand that if there's rules against it, that's what your ultimate goal in that fit is..........get as close within the rules as you can to a prone recumbent position.