Old 05-25-21, 10:57 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyDan
I'm not going to comment on your specific decisions regarding lighting, but I'll say that this kind of attitude is the prime example of humanity's tragedy of the commons. Everybody doing what they feel is safer for them, without regard for the safety of others, makes everyone less safe overall.

In reference to lighting specifically, everyone starts driving around with flashing lights all the time everywhere, because it makes them stand out and makes them personally safer, and then suddenly the road is just a dazzling mess of blinking lights everywhere, and flashing lights become noise in a sea of excess stimulation and confusion. There may or may not be a bit of "slippery slope fallacy" in that argument, but it's at least worth stopping to consider why flashing lights are not allowed for bicycles in some jurisdictions.
Seriously? Even considering the gross mismatch in vulnerabilities between a cyclist on the road and a car at highway speeds? You have got to be kidding.

Somehow, I think "humanity" will survive if I am more aggressive about my safety on a bicycle. Maybe more cyclists should do so and there would be less cycling fatalities. This is not an equity type of problem.