If its free, it's for me

Bikes: Chimo, Roadmaster, Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is exactly my kind of thread. I'm a massive cheapskate lmao

Late 70s- Early 80s Chimo Concourse--
Found on side of road less than a month ago. Replaced horrific mountain bike handle bars with a set of curved road bike bars off an old women's Schwinn and took the dual position brake levers along with them. Also replaced the dumpy narrow Mongoose saddle with an old Wrights springer that I took off an ancient British bike sporting a Sturmy geared hub axle, forgot the make of bike, might still go buy it for a resale, it deserves a restoration....

Bike- Free
Handle bars, brake levers, Wrights saddle- $6 bucks scrap price
Chimo still needs tubes, tires and the rear wheel needs to be trued before I can test her out.

Other bike I'm currently riding is a Roadmaster Hurricane Ridge that I again, found on the side of the road less than a week ago. Bike had a totally seized chain, derailleur, rear hub, very rough crankset, seized brakes etc etc. Almost completely toast, definitely sat in the guys yard for probably half a decade considering the condition of the drivetrain... Removed the brakes, the wheels, derailleur upper and main, all cables, handle bars. Tore it almost completely down minus the crankset and front fork assembly. Sprayed a good amount of PB Blaster into the crankset and spent a few minutes spinning it till it was ridable at least lol.

Bike- Free
Parts bike (crappy walmart Next full suspension)- $11 bucks scrap price
Scrapped parts frame and old rusty wheels- $3 greenbacks returned

Took the riser bars, the brakes, the shifters, wheels and tires, chain and derailleurs off the crappy Next bike and began to assemble some of the bits on the Roadmaster. Installed the Shimano Tourer main derailleur and the upper as well, swapped the best wheels and tires I had on, threw on the riser bars, removed all the old shoddy cables and installed just the front brakes onto the bike for now until I get some lime green cable sheath to replace the stock bits that the bike came with. Rides great considering it has terrible front brakes and is stuck in one gear for right now. Also need to figure out how to free up the seat post so I can lower the saddle a bit...

Chimo total investment- $6.00
Roadmaster total- $8.00

Total miles ridden on the Roadmaster is probably just shy of 15, I rode it to the gas station twice when initially testing it while it had no brakes, and today I took it for a nice ride to the waterfront, about 6 miles from my place one way. The Hurricane is a nice urban terrain bike for sure, but I'm dying to ride the Chimo. The Chimo is very dainty, and looks like it probably hauls ass with enough effort from the rider.

Pics will come