Old 05-30-21, 11:06 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 96 Posts
So, I've tried the first two builds of my 1987 Master experiments, which I'm calling Project Dave. So far we have a solid stock build, followed by one that included Dura-Ace 7700 triple, funky Spinergy Wheels, and watt-saving white bar tape. That was a two pound difference. Without spending money, I can move to a carbon fork and seatpost, though that'll mean a black stem and probably bars and I think all that black will change the look more than I'd love. It would also be fun to take that frame into a truly modern 11-speed world, but that's not in the spare parts bin! I'd love to see others with an 11-speed Ironman.

As stock as they get, I think. Shimano 600 EX SIS. Wolber Alpine wheels. Turbo saddle. Conti UltraSports are the only real change from Dave's plan.

Halfway modernized. Dura-Ace 7700 triple groupset. Spinergy XAero wheels. Modern saddle.

After this, I'll stop hijacking this thread and start a new one if I keep going on the Dave project. But I will say the 7700 build is so good I may use it in two weeks for the Tulsa Tough Saturday Medio (with better tires). And if you are looking for a fun cycling weekend, you could do worse than coming to Tulsa that weekend. www. tulsatough.com You ride a well supported, timed, hilly fondo, then watch crazy peoole do the crits while drinking beer. Which makes me wonder, are there Eroica crit races?

Last edited by dbhouston; 05-30-21 at 11:28 PM.
Likes For dbhouston: