View Single Post
Old 06-01-21, 03:01 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Which SMP saddle do you use? They make seats with different levels of padding.

The SMP approach actually aims to have the pubic nerve and artery lie where the groove is and the soft bits (male or female) hang out over the nose. That prevents presure on the nerve, artery, and soft bits and thereby prevents numbness and other pain. (To confirm this, check the patent application, which contans an illustration of exactly this point.)

I don't understand why Brooks-type leather saddles work. When they're new, the rider sits on the leather. The bones keep the soft tissue above the seat, so there's little to no pressure. But as butt and saddle break in, the rider's bones and weight create depressions in the leather, so there's the potential for pressure to hit the soft tissues. And yet the Brooks-type seats clearly work well for a lot of people.

A Brooks Imperial (with a cutout), which was invented over 100 years ago, was the best saddle I tried, but it was not good. Even a Selle SMP TRK, which has lots of padding, is much better for me. I tried a harder SMP, but it was too long for me, so I wen back to the TRK.

With bike seats, I suspect current theory just doesn't match reality. We need better theories. Until we develop them, I think each of us needs to keep trying until we find what works for us.
The SMP Well.

I have them on both bikes and I really shouldn’t complain. Been using them for 1.5 years and they work well for me...I think my recent issue (sore sit bones) was simply down to riding a little longer than normal, probably not standing enough (happens on rail trails), and the warmer weather (I prefer cooler temps for riding). Most importantly, the SMP is working in every other way...so I’m done pondering and will get back to riding