View Single Post
Old 06-01-21, 06:17 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
I live at sea level, and the soonest I can arrive is the Wednesday before the Saturday right (so three nights of getting used to the elevation). Should I not bother going?

Not at all. Just realize you won’t be able to acclimatize. However, the difference in FTP between acclimatized and not acclimatized is not that big.

Based on my personal experience, doing events like the US Pro Challenge, Leadville, and Everest Challnege coming from sea level, and a decent amount of data, I stand by my assertion that if you can’t get there 2 weeks ahead, getting there no more than 36 hours ahead may be better than several days.

https://www.velonews.com/training/al...g-performance/

individual susceptibility to altitude sickness varies, and so the advice to “helicopter in” will vary for different people. That said , if you can’t get there 2 weeks in advance, I wouldn’t worry too much if you get there 1,2, or 3 days ahead.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 06-01-21 at 06:26 PM.