View Single Post
Old 06-02-21, 12:04 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 938 Posts
I like "old" Cylone better than Superbe. I'm kind of the wrong person to comment as I do like "our-y stuff rather than race-y stuff. As I'm aware- 70s Cyclone is more versatile and lighter than Superbe- but Superbe is more robust. Not in a VGT sort of way- but more precise and dominant.

As you get into the 80s Superbe and Superbe Pro (sometimes "Superbe Pro" is a different line- sometimes it takes the place of "Superbe") were both racing and shoehorned into a couple of different long cage units. pcb would have the better idea on this.

My personal favorite is the post 1989 Superbe Pro- I've read of them being referred to as "jewelry for your bike." The top level Suntour stuff was just awesome; the polishing and anodizing left them with that gorgeous sheen and shine. The shifters had that perfect twist to them. The hidden spring brakes were awesome- (the return springs were built inside the arms- so you never saw them).

One thing I totally love is the seat post- it's the most adjustable seat post- and it has that understated Superbe Pro branding. Which is precariously screened onto the post- one errant swipe and it's gone forever.

620 Build Seatpost by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

The Superbe Pro twisty shifters:

IMG_6700 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

IMG_6704 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I sold off my brakes a while ago- someone got a good deal on those... I should get pix of the derailleurs. Beautiful stuff.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.