View Single Post
Old 06-03-21, 08:42 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
No, I think it's more like music. When I was growing up (in the 80's), we had "oldies" (mostly 50's to mid-60's) and we had "classic rock" (later 60's and 70's). Some of the music from the 80's became classic rock because it had a similar aesthetic, but most of it will never age into that category, just like classic rock will never become "oldies" while any of us who have ever listened to it regularly are still around. And then there's classical, which looks on first glance like it might be defined by a very large age range but turns out to still be an active category.
I think you're totally wrong... Like you said- when I was a kid there were oldies stations, top 40 stations and there were rock stations- then there were "classic rock" stations and the stuff that was classic rock migrated to that/those stations. The rock stations kind of had the new 'metal-y' stuff as well as your "get the Led out" stuff... As things have aged- the classic rock stuff is greatly becoming what the "oldies" stations were... on the way out. Then the "new rock" "alternative" stations popped up... and either died or morphed into whatever Clear Channel or iHeart wants them to play. I like to think the music I grew up on was awesome and the musicians were all awesome and badass... Yes, there are kids that are into the Beatles and Zeppelin and Stones and stuff... but... that stuff is aging out. The music the kids are all into changes so fast and it's really not on terrestrial radio and it's all driven by forces you don't even know, man.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy: