View Single Post
Old 06-08-21, 10:13 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've been on the century most Saturdays plan as well for a few years (not in the winter, though, and not a big fan of rain). The key for me is to make sure the ride is interesting and fun, and go places I enjoy and eat food I like. If I treated it like some serious "training", I'm sure I would have gotten too bored with it to keep it going.

Not saying my way is "right", it just works for me. Do you have any things you do to keep it "interesting"?
Exactly like you. I've been calling my Saturday rides "Adventure Saturday". I pick a slower, more comfortable road bike. I pick an different, interesting destination each time. (I live in Brighton Mi, a few of my destinations have been like Stony Creek Metro Park, Lake Erie Metropark, Owosso, and others).
I even drove down the PA's GAP trail and road that for 100 miles out of Ohioplye.
The other two long rides were with organized brevets.
My pace for my Saturday rides is an easier one, slower, with the intention to just enjoy the day, not suffer.
I always stop for a sit down lunch with plenty of calories. Heck, on my GAP trail ride with 10 miles left to go, I stopped in Confluence for a few beers and a basket of fries. and left with the most energy I had all day.
If I am on trails, I'll also put on some music via earbuds, take it easy, and zone out a bit. If I'm close to home, I'll even have a beer at a party store, drank in the parking lot. Nice carbs for the 10 miles or so left.

Last edited by friday1970; 06-08-21 at 10:57 AM.
Likes For friday1970: