View Single Post
Old 06-09-21, 07:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It is too much overlap. A 1998 9sp road bike can be 96% the same as a 2015 9sp road bike and 92% the same as a 2015 11sp road bike.
I have been vocal, in threads and PMs, and the main reason is the forced moving of threads into that forum. Especially when the threads arent even applicable to that forum like the very popular retro roadies thread. Thats c&v frames with STIs, many of which are 10 and 11sp. Thats neither the frame period or STI period the forum is for.

An 8 or 9sp road bike doesnt need a new forum- 8sp and 9sp STI road bikes are currently for sale and a very popular option due to cost and value.

Interest has partly been force created due to threads being moved there even if the OP didnt want them.
This practice is rarely done elsewhere, its why there are mechanical discussions in general, c&v, road, etc. Its why there are lights and gps discussions in general, road, etc. Its why there are MTB threads in general and c&v. I could continue, but hopefully you are able to recognize the inconsistent application of moving threads.

And while the forum is attracting interest, that doesnt mean the same level of interest wouldnt exist if the forum werent around- the interest would just be in road and c&v. Interest being further subdivided doesnt equal increased interest.

This new forum was apparently due to one c&v person asking for it. Take time and read thru threads about the new forum- they are overwhelmingly filled with 'why' and 'not needed' type comments.

Well, you've certainly never been shy about telling the mods how to do their jobs, you seem rather compulsive about it. I've looked at those threads, mostly it seems like people who aren't interested in these types of bikes, dislike of the word brifter, quibbles about the number of gears, etc. I love these kinds of bikes and I'm glad there's a clear place for discussion of them. I will probably read more than post there because I'm really learning a lot about them.

TBH, I've been interested in this kind of bike for a few years and now have two. I would never have found the threads about them in C&V because it would require so much wading through types of bikes I have no interest in, and they clearly aren't considered classics yet. As to Road Cycling, I don't spend time there because it is so focused on newer equipment and racing that I feel like I don't speak the language, and learning it doesn't interest me. Again, too much wading to find the little bit of content that I'd be interested in.

So, yes it's a niche subforum. I don't expect it to be massively popular, and I don't think its establishment .requires a vote, especially from people who think this is kind of a joke subcategory. I honestly don't care what they think about this subforum and I don't see why anyone should. We already know they're not interested in those things they're not interested in.

You have probably compiled about a book's worth of advice to the mods, will you be publishing it any time soon?
Likes For livedarklions: