Old 06-09-21, 09:27 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
2019 Specialized Diverge carbon frame

I wasn't the first one to try a big MTB cassette on a road RD. I agree that some frames may not be compatible with this set up. But based on the posts that I read when researching this subject the people who actually tried it had pretty good luck.

Lots of naysayers and people who are slaves to max capacity specs will say it won't work at all, and won't work long term. My suggestion is to try it on your bike and see what happens. It took some time to find the right balance between chain length and b-screw so this mod probably isn't for those with limited experience setting up derailleurs from scratch. But for those of us who like to tinker with their bikes it's good fun to try something out of the ordinary.

I am definitely not a naysayer nor a hater and agree 100% especially with the part about those of us that like to tinker. Success in these endeavors does tend to require a degree of perspicacity to which most may not subscribe.

(edited to add)
The right mix of specific bike and specific person is the crux here, not the gear, I think. People told me not to put drop bars on an Epic Hardtail and ( ! FLEX AHEAD !) I just had my personal best finish in the Unbound 200 on it. Yet, I would not be telling others to do likewise.

Last edited by Cpn_Dunsel; 06-09-21 at 09:31 AM.
Likes For Cpn_Dunsel: