View Single Post
Old 06-10-21, 05:46 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
The problem with >25mm tires for my favorite bikes is not only the fit in the frame, but the ability to remove the wheel. Even with the caliper release open, it can be a chore to get the rear tire past the pads, out and in.
I would rather run a good tire with the performance characteristics than a fatter tire. I am amazed at the supple ride of the Vittoria G+ tires in 23, tubular (De Rosa) and clincher (Pinarello)
That is my story and I am stick'n to it.

PS: for me it is like DT vs "Brifters." I resisted until the opportunity presented itself to try a set. I knew they might be "better" but I didn't' want to get out of my old time period space. I did it and now have a broader range of experiences available to me. Having the De Rosa with more modern parts allow me to say I have the better of both old and new. Same with cage&strap vs clipless.