View Single Post
Old 06-10-21, 11:03 AM
eabe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I happen to have assembled a Roadlite 5 WMN in size 2XS (with the 650b wheelset).
The bike seems pretty good and for this model trim the components are rather basic / heavy - which is expected for the price point.

One question that seems to keep popping is with regards to tire size so I'll share my experience here.

For this particular trim, the wheelset (Alex Rims TD19) is pretty heavy and apparently on the smaller size - I have tried a number of different tires and it is very easy to put tires on and off, so much so that it worries me a little that the tires will pop out if ridden hard. Also, for some reason it is really difficult to get the tire bead seated properly in the rim - that was consistent across the different tires I tried (I had to over-inflate the tire for the beads to "pop" in place).

This bead seating issue could
be specific to my wheelset, but it happens to both front and rear wheels. Maybe replacing the rim tape would help but I haven't tried it.
I haven't tried to go tubeless either... based on how loose the tire beads are in these rims, I guess it will be quite tricky to get a good seal.

Tires and clearance:
  • Schwalbe G-One Speed (650b x 30):
    • Tire - rim interface: Really easy to get the tires in and out, you barely need a tire lever. Difficult to get the beads properly seated in the rim (over inflate to 90PSI)
    • Frame clearance: This is the original tire... lots of room, no problems
  • Schwalbe G-One Allround (650b x 38)
    • Tire - rim interface: This tire is really tight on other rims but it fits just fine on this rim. Difficult to get the beads properly seated in the rim (over inflate to 85PSI)
    • Frame clearance: About 4mm clearance on each side - it should be fine for pavement if the wheel is true and the tire is properly seated (on this setup, the tire width is about 40mm if you include the little knobs)
  • Pacenti Pari-Moto by Panaracer Tire (650b x 42):
    • Tire - rim interface: Tire is too loose - popped out of the rim and exploded the inner tube as I tried to inflate it.
    • Frame clearance: Not able to test it properly...
  • WTB Resolute TCS (650b x 42)
    • Tire - rim interface: Tire fits fine on rim. Also difficult to get the beads properly seated in the rim (over inflated to 85PSI)
    • Frame clearance: Technically, it works... tire spins without touching the frame but it is really tight. Definitely not a go for mud, and if the wheel goes out of true, it will rub against the frame
Based on my experience, this frame would do well up to 38mm on paved roads or dry fire roads - so a bit wider than the 32mm max described in Canyon's documentation. I settled with the G-One Allround knowing that the person riding this bicycle is not going off-road and/or mud.

There is a lot of space in the fork but unfortunately Canyon has a brake hose guide right at the 650b max width point, limiting tires to 40~42mm... (if you take that out and re-route the brake hose, it seems to have enough room for 45mm tires)

I hope this helps!
Safe rides...