Thread: Budget gps unit
View Single Post
Old 06-10-21, 03:30 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4553 Post(s)
Liked 6,512 Times in 3,737 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I can testify that such GPS records are standard discovery items in legal cases involving traffic accidents. The limitations and integrity of the data are well-understood and part of the review process, and they do get challenged.

It's the same kind of evidence as phone records and black boxes in trucks... all part of the big picture.
Agreed, but I know of three instances where the data was successful in helping win the day, I didn't save the sources but one was a $4k damage claim, 1 serious injury and 1 death. Paired with video evidence and anything else like forensics and witness reports, it can be the final nail, sometimes on its own as it was in the damage claim.

One of the other big things can be helmet and lights even if the law where you are does not require them, they can help with them and hurt without them.

If you have them the insurance company won't be able to victim blame you by saying "you SHOULD have been using them anyway, cycling is dangerous", which they often do.

Some medical insurance companies won't or will try not to cover you without a helmet also even if not required by law so same thing there, you need all the defense and leverage you can have when it goes horribly wrong or otherwise.