Thread: Budget gps unit
View Single Post
Old 06-10-21, 03:42 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4568 Post(s)
Liked 6,549 Times in 3,758 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
I like GPS and use it quite a lot.
I don't think the Track data in any GPS we are likely to use would be a)detailed enough b)accurate enough c) secure enough to be useful in 'accident reconstruction' for the courts.
Detail: How close are the track points?
Accuracy: Individual positions can be inaccurate but tend to get smoothed out as the track points accumulate.
About security: track data in a .gpx file can easily be edited.

My advice: Stop at stop signs and red lights and don't assume others will do the same. Try to ride on roads that have paved width for a bike.
It's a risky world and we are defenceless on our bikes.
Wrong on both counts,

I know of three instances where the data was successful in helping win the day, I didn't save the sources but one was a $4k damage claim, 1 serious injury and 1 death. Paired with video evidence and anything else like forensics and witness reports, it can be the final nail, sometimes on its own as it was in the damage claim.

We/I am not defenseless, vulnerable, yes, defenseless, no.

Defensive driving is the same no matter what you are driving/riding. If you pay attention, many problems on the road can be avoided by being vigilant, skilled and astute.

Helmet, GPS, cameras and multiple lights, front and rear, 24/7, period.