Thread: Budget gps unit
View Single Post
Old 06-10-21, 07:39 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
Off-topic,so I won't argue this further than to say:
Water resistant and waterproof are different things.
When Apple warranties phones against water damage, I will believe that they are waterproof....and Apple hasn't done that yet.
My latest phone has proved more water resistant than previous ones, but perhaps I'm being more careful. That said, the touch screen is totally useless in the rain. I had a catastrophic mechanical failure about 50 miles into a brevet a couple years ago, and I had to call for a ride. Well, I couldn't call for a ride until I got out of the rain! Pain in the *****.

To GPS, I have a Bryton 530, already mentioned in this thread. It's a bit wonky but once I got to know it it's been pretty reliable. I've used it in a lot of terrible weather and it has proven, so far, as close to waterproof as I needed it to be. Battery life is also excellent; good enough for 380 km or so... which is great, right until the last 20 km of a 400k, that is. You can charge it while it's navigating. I was on one ride where my riding partner had a Garmin of some sort and I had my Bryton, and both were losing GPS signal occasionally, but not at the same time; so between the two different platforms, we were able to stay on route. There came a point, however, where our route was blocked and we had to reroute; my Bryton is totally useless for that. His Garmin told us exactly where to go, and we were back on our route in a few miles. I have no regrets about the Bryton, but when the time comes to replace it, brand loyalty will not be on my mind.