View Single Post
Old 06-10-21, 10:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11056 Post(s)
Liked 7,607 Times in 4,244 Posts
Originally Posted by Jburrow
no way! I live and attend/work at MSU. #HailState.

I appreciate the feedback greatly. It appears that choosing the builder is as important if not more so than choosing what to get if going custom.

Ritchey does have me intrigued. Are they custom as well? I know they do make production-esque stuff.
Ritchey doesn't do custom frames. Their production frames are on the lighter side of things.
- their Road Logic road frame is well loved, but only clears 32mm tires.
- their Outback gravel frame is improved over prior versions and well made. Geometey isn't for everyone though, especially the long chainstays. Cable running along the top tube is a dated style.
- their Swiss Cross CX frame is well loved and has clearance for what you want. Cable running along the top tube is a dated style.

I built a road frame in a framebuilding class a few years ago. It was an amazing experience and I absolutely love the bike. Had Ritchey made a road fame in my size, I would have gone with the Ritchey. I geek hard on the brand.

As mentioned- geometry is the biggest thing to consider. If a bike turns faster than you like and feels too twitchy, then it's less fun. If you are spending this much, even for a stock frameset, get what you like. There is enough geometry variety across brands for everyone to find something quality that responds how they like.