canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
I don’t mind the ride. But I’ve fallen enough times with skinny tires when hitting tiny obstacles like driveway lips and pavement separations at just the wrong angle.

Even a 28 tire requires significantly less concentration to avoid these incidents. Since all my riding is on Seattle streets, it’s not worth it.
Yup, with the 700x23 Soma Supple Vitesse I need to remind myself that the tires only *feel* like I'm on wider, softer tires. But those skinny shoes are still vulnerable to being knocked outta whack by minor road hazards that actual wider tires would roll over without drama.

On a group ride a couple of years ago I saw a horrific crash immediately in front of me that reminded me to pay attention to the road at all times when on my road bikes with skinny tires. (Good practice anytime, but especially with skinny tires.)

The fellow was riding the tops, not the hoods or drops, coasting down a descent at around 20 mph. On good pavement it wouldn't have gotten my attention, but this was striated concrete slabs, with slightly uneven seams between the slabs, and no asphalt topping to smooth out the striations and seams. I noticed him riding alongside a seam that was flat ... but still bad practice in case the next slab and seam was uneven. Sure enough, that's what happened. He nicked the uneven seam edge and, being relaxed with hands on the tops rather than hoods or drops, lost his balance and immediately hit the deck, hard on the right side of his helmeted head... then skidded about 10 feet headfirst into a sloped curb. Bad concussion and shock. I heard he was recovering but haven't heard any details.

It was the kind of thing that a typical hybrid with 700x32 or wider tires would have shrugged off. But those skinny tires are very unforgiving of that kind of road flaw.

After that incident I was much more careful about which wheels I followed in group rides. If I don't trust the guy ahead of me because he's not calling out significant hazards, leading us across debris without calling out, and I can't see the road surface, I look for a better wheel to follow or bail out and go my own way.