View Single Post
Old 06-11-21, 03:18 PM
Jburrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ritchey doesn't do custom frames. Their production frames are on the lighter side of things.
- their Road Logic road frame is well loved, but only clears 32mm tires.
- their Outback gravel frame is improved over prior versions and well made. Geometey isn't for everyone though, especially the long chainstays. Cable running along the top tube is a dated style.
- their Swiss Cross CX frame is well loved and has clearance for what you want. Cable running along the top tube is a dated style.

I built a road frame in a framebuilding class a few years ago. It was an amazing experience and I absolutely love the bike. Had Ritchey made a road fame in my size, I would have gone with the Ritchey. I geek hard on the brand.

As mentioned- geometry is the biggest thing to consider. If a bike turns faster than you like and feels too twitchy, then it's less fun. If you are spending this much, even for a stock frameset, get what you like. There is enough geometry variety across brands for everyone to find something quality that responds how they like.
I appreciate the comments so far. I see Gunnar and Waterford recommended frequently as others have mentioned. My wife and I would ideally love to find a one-stop shop for both of us. She is hard to fit, and I am a bit more normal in terms of geo. That said, having something custom must be nice which is why I am considering also. But, is it worth the $$ if you are of average proportions? Looking at Ritchey and Jamis/Giant/Specialized/RodeoLabs for off-the-shelf-esque stuff. Breadwinner, Speedvagen, Stinner, Gunnar, Waterford have me intrigued if I go the custom route. I just can’t decide if there are pros-cons I am missing between the two sects of bike, CF/High end steel, and between the custom shops. I basically want something that is well made, fits me well, and can do everything from the gravel/road event, centuries, and leisure cruises.

I think she likes the look of Breadwinner, Speedvagen, and Gunnar/Waterford the best. I have actually emailed with Ira at Breadwinner - very friendly and willing to talk to a total stranger about what they do and what they make. Leaning Breadwinner.

Thanks everyone so far!