View Single Post
Old 06-13-21, 05:59 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8366 Post(s)
Liked 9,217 Times in 4,541 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
like one full turn on the saddle angle adjustment screw on the American Classic seatpost. It's amazing how much better it felt!

I had an American Classic post on my CAAD5. I had gone off a cliff on a mountain bike ride and injured my back so I was riding solo on road rides for a while. I was climbing over Casitas Pass above Santa Barbara and the adjustment screw broke on the stupid post. The saddle didn't fall off but flopped around so much it wasn't rideable.

Miles from anything, I searched the side of the road hoping to find a bolt to put in place of the set-screw. I found a big ball bearing and jammed it into the seatpost to make it rideable. I eventually got down into Santa Barbara and went into the first gas station I found and they had a mechanic shop and a large assortment of bolts. The kid working sold me a bolt but I only had a $20. He didn't have change or didn't want to make change and got pissed off, but he let me keep the bolt. I rode the 30+ miles back to my car and I never used an A/C seatpost again.

I heard from friends who carried an extra set screw on rides.