View Single Post
Old 06-14-21, 12:00 PM
VTBike

Bikes: Scott Sub 40

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Most people have a "set point" and their hormones will try to keep them there. The question is whether or not you can change your set point. The answer is... somewhat. You can make lifestyle changes that will have an impact on your set point, but it is incredible difficult to completely reset it at a much lower weight.

I was lucky enough to have been prescribed semaglutide and Metformin as part of a weight loss program though my local hospital. At the time I was prescribed these medicines they were not approved for weight loss - so my prescription was an off-label use. That said, they definitely changed the weight that my brain wanted me to be at. My appetite went down and I lost 24% of my body weight by taking these medications along with diet changes and exercise. I never counted calories. I was lucky, for sure, but I am convinced that the medicines changed my set weight for the better. That said, it has been extremely difficult losing those last few pounds to get to my goal. My set point is now starting to work against me.