View Single Post
Old 06-17-21, 12:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10432 Post(s)
Liked 11,908 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
I see that it can be read like you did, still it holds up if you read the whole paragraph and have some good will to boot.

What I meant, that folks who furiously spin up hills while barely moving, are the kind who typically don't utilize 11 cogwheel on the back when going down hills steep enough to warrant it. Ergo, they could start with 13 or even 15 on the back...

But of course, there are those accomplished enough and riding in a very contrasting terrain that they do utilize the whole range, but that doesn't apply to bulk of folks. Today, even recreational kind of bikes come with top gear which people who buy them don't ever use.

On my old bike with 52x13 I have a hill around where I ride on which I make 40 mph tops (65km/h) and that is daredevil (especially because it it not quite straight) which many if not most care bear folks wouldn't go for. At this point, the aerodynamic braking starts to play big role because we are talking here solo riding. At this speed, common sense is telling me, what if something happens, an animal crossing road, or even a bird hitting my face, ^&* happens, and what then. At that speed you are basically free meat if anything comes up.
The people who need, and use, smaller gearing on climbs are generally the ones who can make the best use of bigger gearing on descents.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: