Old 06-17-21, 02:19 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I'm not aware of anything specific with Specialized and I don't know what you mean by them dropping road tubeless - in generalities no one in this business is "dropping tubeless" or ever will. They especially wouldn't over this specific issue as it's a non-issue. You build up the tensions on the wheels to compensate for the drop. The only time we have ever had any issue is on super tight rim brake frames as the dish can move over ~1mm and sometimes that's enough to cause rubbing as everyone wants to run tires their frames weren't designed for nowadays.
Our CLX 32, 50, 64, Terra CLX, Terra CLX EVO, C38, SLX 24 and all Contol and Traverse models are compatible. Rapide CLX and Alpinist CLX wheels are not compatible with tubeless road tires. By making them tube-type specific we were able to create lighter and better complete wheels systems for performance road riders. To render these wheels tubeless would have required extra materials, and that extra mass would have outweighed the benefits of tubeless tires.

I not sure what Specialized is still offerling in tubeless in their high end bikes but your choices are now limited. It looks like the answer to my question is weight/mass rather than the rim changing dimenions.