JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bettrave
Hi,
I presently own a Trek Madone series 5 2011 with about 7500km (4600mi). However, Recently, I started to ride a lot more.
It is a 10 speed with the original cassette (10-28) and crankset (50/34). The chain is new and I bought a set of carbon wheels two years ago.
I often find my myself changing between two gears to have "my optimal" cadence.
I am very tempted by buying a Sram Force axs groupset (I have a deal on a 46/33 with 10-33 cassette). For one, precision of electronic gear changing and for two, closer gear ratios
Here's my dilemma.
Should I invest in a new group set for my current bike, but I would still have rim brake (which I don't find braking that great with carbon wheels)?
Or buy a new bike, maybe more aero and with disc brake?
I know, that is a personnal choice, but your thoughts could help me decide.
Thanks!!!
To get the gearing you want, it's probably as simple as a new cassette with different learning. There are a *lot* of choices. Going from 10-11 or 10-12 gears isn't going to make a huge difference, unless you *really* wanted that new bike. Then, of course, it will be ALL the difference in the world. (I'm also a bike-a-holic gadget freak. I've used this rationale more than once too.)

If you love the bike and it fits well, then upgrading the components is pretty simple and can make a world of difference. If you have a great fit and that's all tweaked, sometimes you lose that when you go to a different frame. So you have to figure that out for yourself but I'd not discount the fit if it's good.

That said, if it's a mech bike and you're upgrading to electronic, the SRAM wireless stuff is a piece of cake and it goes really well. It's also *really* nice. If you save all the old mech stuff, you can take off the electronic, buy a frame you like move the electronic to the new frame and sell the old bike. I've done that many times. I've also upgrade mech bikes to SRAM eTap and it was super easy - maybe took me an hour to 90 minutes from the time I got the boxes open. Very quick and easy without cables.

As far as the bike you have, depending on how you've used it, you're probably closer than farther away from replacing the chainrings and cassette anyhow. So that cost will be mitigated a bit with a new AXS group.

You can probably do something about the braking by experimenting with different pads and making sure you clean the rims periodically.

On buying a frame you like - there are a ton of options to do that and then you have the ability to get the frame made to fit you perfectly. I have two bikes I've done that with and I smile every time I get on them. They fit perfectly. Custom frames can be expensive but they don't have to be if you shop around.

All that said, I've never needed much prodding to buy a new bike. Disc brakes are as good an excuse as anything. If saving money is key, then this is the wrong sport or hobby.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 06-18-21 at 03:15 PM.