JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
Yup!
I should go do some work and get away from the keyboard!

Good point.
As long as the tires aren't too soft- with the risk of pinch flats- I'm not extremely worried. If I were a better cyclist I might be able to detect smaller differences, while riding. If I'm going slow, it's very very unlikely that tire pressure is to blame, but it's a handy excuse to 'keep in my back pocket'.

Off topic- (I don't want to drag this down to a tubeless debate..) A couple of friends were telling me to switch to tubeless since they are running lower tire pressures since they switched. Questioning them, it seems they had been mostly running 'the pressure marked on the sidewall' with tubes. And the recommended pressures I was getting from the online calculators for my tubed tires weren't very much higher than they were running with tubeless. So the online calculators are a big plus, for me.
It’s all tied together one way or another.

I follow Poertner’s podcast Marginal Gains and, if I have this right, the rolling resistance doesn’t change a whole lot until it gets really soft and then it goes up fast. So - simplifying here - you’re trying to optimize patch size and ride quality without destroying your rim.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 06-18-21 at 06:12 PM.
Likes For JohnJ80: