View Single Post
Old 06-21-21, 04:19 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked 3,063 Times in 1,894 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Many European cities were built on a hill as a defensible position. And, roads weren't made with cars in mind, or for that matter bicycles. So, some roads even have steps. So, it is often the city centers are at the top of the hill, and urban sprawl is in the valleys.

Many Italian coastal cities are also built into steep mountain sides.

Now that doesn't mean that all roads are straight up a mountain. Some are parallel to the mountain sides.

Let's see if I can remember a few random cities.

Orvieto. Walled city built on the top of a hill. Largely flat on top, but good climb up there.
Perugia. Again, a hilltop city with urban sprawl in the valley.
San Marino. A country around a walled hilltop city.
Cinque Terre. 5 small towns on Italian coast. Each built into its own section of hillside. Lots of steep areas around then.
La Spezia, Tellaro, etc. I didn't spend a lot of time in La Spezia, but many of the nearby towns are noted for steep hillside construction.
Bardi, Emiglia Romagna. Another hillside castle/village.

I'll have to think of some more. But, there are quite a few hilly communities in Italy. Many small.
Interesting quaint towns, but those aren't major population centers. Geography varies a lot in Europe. To add to your list:
(All cities I've ridden in and/or lived in)

Berlin - flat as a pancake. An excellent city for cycling, provided you are prepared for some missing cobblestones here and there.
Zurich. Steep inclines east of the river/lake - not so bad in Zuriwest and of course, very rideable along the river and lake.. But here, and in many European cities, you can always get on the tram with your bike if there's a hill you don't want to climb.
Cologne. Quite rideable
Catania. Rideable for sure.
Barcelona. Some hills but mostly rideable. so-so bike share program
Amsterdam: everybody already knows about Amsterdam.