Old 06-22-21, 12:48 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...someone just listed a far from pristine, but promising, 1976 Motobecane Le Champion about 15 minutes away from me, for $280. It is missing the original brakes, and when dismantled today had installed in it an undersized bar (shimmed, but just barely) and a seatpost that was .2 mm too small. It did come with a salvageable Brooks Pro, and most of the other original components, except the brakes, for some strange reason. But I have all that stuff in the garage somewhere.

I will probably strip and paint it, because the paint is a little rough, and I always like the lilac ones. This one is silver. there is no chance in the world I'll eventually be able to sell it for what I will have into it, but I always wanted one, and this one seemed to be there with me in mind.

I realize not everyone is in the demographic of people who spend $280 for a project bike. But if you want the nicer ones, they're still showing up out of the dark corners of attics and garages.
yeah, I just got my 72/3 Le Champion for $275, all original except the wheels and brake hoods. It didn’t take much to bring it back to mostly original, with a couple era appropriate upgrades (record hubs, seatpost, pedals)