View Single Post
Old 06-23-21, 10:08 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 2,201 Times in 1,339 Posts
At 67, I’m not sure you need motivation, but maybe something that you think is fun; at least more fun than sitting around.

It is hard to imagine taking a bike out after work and trying not to get run over by drivers who don’t care, or hitting packed bike paths qualifying as fun. Although I did that for years.

I’m not saying this will work for you, but when I was 61, I was gifted an old GT mountain bike by a neighbor. I decided to try it out after work. Yes, I had to load it in the SUV and drive to a trailhead, but boy did that open my eyes to another world. A few miles in I thought I was going to die. I just knew one day I would be found fead face down on a trail by a group of Girl Scouts on a hike.

But I got hooked on it. Lost weight. I fell/crashed a lot and came to the realization that I couldn’t re-coup those 30-40 years of not developing mtb skills. But there were no cars. I could just grind along. And downhills were a blast.

I’m retired these days, will turn 70 this year Lord willing, and still ride my bikes; drop, flat, and mtb. I’m an hour or two rider. Being retired let’s me pick and choose.

Some days I can’t wait to ride and others I need to get myself out there. But it’s not that tough to spend a couple hours. A far cry from 4-5 hours on a golf course watching someone take a dozen practice swings and then chunk it.

John