View Single Post
Old 06-24-21, 02:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4838 Post(s)
Liked 3,967 Times in 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
have any experience with Vitt Zaf pros? Probably would provide a smoother feel with about the same durability as the G non speeds.
No. Never ocurred to me that the much cheaper tire might have as good a ride. (Just went to the Vittoria website. Zaffino - "... standard in performance training bike tires ...". Corsa "... race day choice of pros ..." Roughly what I would have said about decent cotton sewups I trained and club raced on and the Clement Criterium Setas (except! the Corsa Gs don't care if they get wet!)

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The real question is whether the $5 tire boot works better than the $1 tire boot.
Originally Posted by pdlamb
The most successful tire boot I ever used was a $5 bill (smallest I had at the time.

The time I used a $1 bill was like the time I used an energy bar wrapper -- I shortly turned into a pedestrian.

YMMV
I don't find I get what I pay for with US Treasury boots. What I do find is that the cheap ones come with pre-worn sidewalls. (Been folded and stuffed into wallets a few too many times.) Century notes are far better in that regard but stepping up to carry the required five can be onerous.
Likes For 79pmooney: