Old 06-27-21, 05:15 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am still trying to figure out why you want a coupled travel bike frame for a winter bike? Or, is it some other model that has nothing to do with couplers for travel?
No, sorry. I was just interested in that bike for my winter bike sans couplers. I hadn't talked with anyone that had actually used the frame. The Ritchey Outback is the frame I was looking at, the Outback Breakaway is that version with the couplers. When I had built my last bike - which does have S&S couplers - I had heard some things that the Ritchey ones, while simpler than the S&S couplers, had some rigidity issues. So I was interested to hear you say that they worked well (which I thought they would).

So my plan is to make this both as a winter bike mostly for when there is ice around but the roads are largely dry. I probably won't put couplers on it although that is an interesting geometry for the kind of touring/traveling we do. With this bike I'm trying to keep the cost minimal and built largely from parts I have laying around. So it was sort of a thread hijack, but not quite.

J.