View Single Post
Old 06-27-21, 08:00 PM
Maaku

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm traveling from Chicago to Milan next week. The 62 in linear box size limit on United has me stumped. Forget the wheels for now, I can put them in a separate box. I can't imagine fitting a bike in a box limited to "62 total linear inches", please see the wording directly from the United website.

"If the bicycles are packed in a container that’s less than 100 pounds (45.3 kilograms) and less than 62 total linear inches (158 centimeters) (length + width + height), they’ll be subject to a flat service charge of $150 each way for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. A service charge of $200 each way applies for all other travel. Service charges for first, second and extra checked bags may apply."

How in the world can anyone with a adult male touring bike with 700c wheels meet this requirement?
Having looked up the policies of many airlines over the years (and wrote about it here), United is still the worst when it comes to fees on bikes. But sometimes, their routes make them the only choice. Some people still get away with no fee. It just depends on the agent.