View Single Post
Old 06-28-21, 12:55 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Sometimes I'm determined to a fault, and this is going to be one of those times. I'm going to bring my least valuable bike, a 1984-ish Trek 400 with a 3x10 Shimano drivetrain. I'm going to completely disassemble the bike, including separating the fork and frame. I'll put (only) the frame set in one box, the box will be as small as possible but will probably be a little oversized. I'll put the wheels and all the components in another box that will meet the 62 inch restriction. Hopefully each box will be accepted.

I'll leave the bike behind and this will allow me to have something to ride on my annual trips to Italy.
Good luck with that. If the frame box is a cardboard box, I would not be surprised if they pull out the tape measure. When they see manufactured luggage, they assume it was made for travel purposes instead of for one-time shipping purposes.

A 700c rim is about 25 inches in diameter, so the wheels could fit easy enough. If you go to a bike shop to get the cardboard to make your own boxes, I have found that a dull pizza cutter helps score cardboard so that it is easier to fold where I wanted to fold it.

You probably are aware that if you tell them at customs that you are leaving it in the EU, you might have to pay something equivalent to VAT, but if you tell them it is coming back to USA within 90 days, ... ...

Have a great trip.