Old 07-03-21, 05:13 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I wonder if the OP has actually ridden both newer and older bikes.

I have both a road bike from the... well, late 60's. With several updates over the years.

And, I built up my first carbon fiber bike a couple of years ago (with a frame from the late 90's, and newer components).

Wow, riding the CF bike, it just felt like a bike should feel (I suppose I should try an even newer one).

My old toe clips.. I was happy enough with them. But, much happier when I changed over to SPD pedals.

I never liked braking from the hoods with the old Universal brakes. But, it is just so natural with the new brake levers.

I ride from the bar tops... and the flattened "aero" bar tops are much more comfortable than the round ones.

I haven't gone to disc yet, but the new(ish) Ultegra 6800 dual pivot brake calipers are very good.

Man, I got a lot of flats with the Sewups. New tires are just better.

I just never was satisfied with the 13T or 14T high end on the old freewheels. I suppose it is a bit of my riding style, but the newer cassettes work nice.

I have some touring upgrades planed. The old bike is just so flexy in the rear end. Hopefully I can eventually solve that issue.

I still like the old bike... but some new stuff is well... just better. Not everything. I think many of the cassettes wear faster than the freewheels. But, a lot is very good.
My first CF bike was a mid-late 90s Cadex (round carbon tubes bonded to alloy head tube, BB etc.). It was a very good ride, but modem monocoque carbon bikes are a big improvement in both efficiency and comfort. Although it’s hard to know how much of that improvement is from the frame vs modem tyre technology. But from a pure engineering POV modem carbon frames are light years ahead of those early bonded carbon/alloy efforts. My Cadex still had an alloy fork too, which I remember feeling a bit harsh. It would be interesting to ride one of those bikes today just to feel the difference directly back-to-back.