View Single Post
Old 07-04-21, 07:47 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Step away for a few minutes and a new thread starts up. And Velo Vol returns. I replaced the brake levers on the travel bike, awhile back, because the gum hoods were done. The most comfortable hoods ever. I put Dia Compe aero levers on it and never bothered to change out the centerpull calipers. Riding it around loaded for touring made it clear that the levers and calipers don't speak the same language. I found a pair of Tektro long reach calipers in the box, but they are of the non-nutted variety. So rather than drill the frame, I put the front on the rear and searched for a diy drop bolt. Finding one I like, I went back to the calipers box and found a single long reach Shimano 600. Both these calipers barely reach and will likely have to be filed. The Alex Ace 19 rims are quite small in diameter. I can take the tires off without levers. But they will be good brakes when finished. KoolStop salmon pads all around. T minus 16 days.
I had to unwind two thirds of the bar tape to replace the front cable, which was too short. I did not do the figure of eight on the re-wrap and had tape left over at the end.