View Single Post
Old 07-06-21, 12:03 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I almost stepped on a snake.

I cycle a lot on tracks in farming areas. I walked behind some trees for a call of nature, or in American, a bathroom break. There was a snake under some leaves, and I stepped just a few inches from it. It decided to get away as fast as possible. If I had stepped on it, I would probably have been bitten. It was only a small snake, about 2 feet (600 mm) long. There are many larger snakes around.

Where I am is python territory. I have seen a python caught by locals, about 5 inches in diameter. These are several meters long. If the locals catch them, they can feed an entire village or two.

Pythons are rare, as the locals eat them. Then you go cycling through these areas, and discover more. Snakes shed their skins. I have come across several snake skins while cycling. Two of them were so big, they must have been pythons. I have not seen a live python in the wild, but seeing the skins tells me they are there. If I ever see one, I am putting some distance between it and me quite quickly. But the concern is when you don't see them.

Of course I could just stay home, and put on weight until I die of a heart attack.

I could also ride on the larger roads, and get hit by a car or truck.

If I ever go silent on this forum, with no explanation. You can take a poll to see who thinks I got bitten by a snake, and who thinks I got hit by a car or truck.
Likes For alo: