Old 07-06-21, 03:19 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,153 Posts
Mosman,
I deal with CF everyday. I am a Golf Equipment Professional and about 90% of the golf shafts are made of CF. I have picked out a specimen that was the tip section of a failed carbon fiber tube. This one was a $400 golf shaft so higher end CF. I intentionally rubbed some of the paint down to the CF underneath with a file. And have pictures of what failure looks like in carbon fiber. From what I have seen in all of you pictures, there is no damage other than cosmetic. The golf shaft breakage in this case was the club being slammed and smashed by a closing trunk. The yield strength of CF is pretty high, a normal golf shaft goes through the impact speeds of over 100 mph every time the CF club is used. Here are some pictures:

The paint is scratched down to the CF which is a black color underneath the paint. There is no damage to the carbon fiber. The paint removal does not damage the fibers underneath.

This is what damaged CF looks like. Note the shards of carbon fibers sticking out from the damaged section.

This is a close up of the damaged CF showing the layers or plies of the CF as it was produced.
I trust this was helpful in understanding CF damage for you. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk: