Old 07-07-21, 10:48 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I like the workshop with the Dutch sign, verboten fietsen, and the gravel tractor ad. All very appropriate for a bike shop.
My dad was a Gravely dealer and that’s how I got the metal sign. I still have his 1949 walk behind “convertible” model with some attachments. It has been partially torn down awaiting restoration for the past 30 years😊. Maybe when I’m too old to bike I’ll get to it!

Sorry no pics of the 720 today as it was a somewhat frustrating day. Added a Brooks Pro and then tackled the brakes. I’m using a pair of early 90’s vintage Dia Comp aero levers. I had to improvise some ferrule stops and can’t figure out how they worked when I previously had them on on my Specialized Expedition. Maybe bigger cable end stops? Anyway setting up the brakes did not get completed. Not sure of the Shimano model (I’ll post a pic tomorrow) but they have a Y yoke where the cable passes through a disk to the cable anchor arm. Not a lot of motion range but I got the rear one set up. There is minimal clearance to the rim but the brake lever nearly bottoms out when you activate them so I’m skeptical on the stopping power.

The front set set seems to have a weak spring on the non anchor arm and are pretty much a fail with that Y yoke limiting how far the lever will spring back from the rim. My next attempt will be to make a standard arched yoke and see if that helps. If not I may need to hunt down some different cantilevers😩. This was supposed to be a build to use up some spare components so I don’t need to add to the list my wife thinks are spare parts😃