View Single Post
Old 07-09-21, 07:04 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4529 Post(s)
Liked 5,032 Times in 3,110 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I haven't done any truly large rides, like GFNY. I've done the TZ Bridge MS ride a few times, the Tour de Cure, and the Tour de Putnam. So, my strategies might not work for larger "event" rides.
1. I get there early so I can do the register/pick up t-shirt and meal ticket/etc. stuff at a leisurely pace, get the bike off the car, gear up, use the restroom, etc. without rushing.

2. I wait a couple of minutes after the official "start" before I set off. If you're in front, it is generally a sh*t show for the first few miles as those who like to "race" try to pass everyone else. It doesn't matter if there is a solid line of cyclists, they try to pass anyway and too often crash taking out not only themselves but others. Many of the riders have no experience riding around others and are truly dangerous to be around. I'm not the best bike handler in the world myself, but at least I have a minimum level of competence, which is emphatically NOT the case with a majority (yes, more than 50%) of the riders I see on an event ride.

3. I ride at my own pace and try to avoid groups. Again, many people are truly horrible bike handlers - cannot ride a straight line; swerve with no warning; slow with no warning; can't get a water bottle or something from their pockets without being all over the road; oblivious to the presence of other riders; etc. In general there is an inverse relationship between the density of riders and the safety and predictability of the riders. I don't think its worth the risk to ride with a group of cyclists whom I don't know. I'm generally not doing the ride because I want company, but rather because I like the route (or to ride unfamiliar routes) and to take advantage of the opportunity to ride roads that are normally not available to cyclists. Also you often get to go through controlled intersections without stopping if there are cops controlling the flow.

4. When descending in particular, I stay WELL away from other riders. If I'm on a descent and can't pass a rider quickly, I hang FAR back. Fortunately many riders are slow descenders so it is possible to pass them quickly so as to minimize the length of time I'm near them. Crashes are most likely in the first few frantic miles, but descents run a clear 2nd place for being the most likely time for crashes to occur.

5. I avoid the rest stops and try to take enough fluids and food - so, Camelback plus bottles, and energy bars or other food. I can generally go 80-ish miles without stopping. The early stops in particular get crowded and you end up waiting around a lot. I'm there to ride, not stand around. The stops generally don't have anything I really want anyway.
That’s interesting. Most riders I see in Sportive events are pretty experienced club riders, so groups are normally quite safe to ride in.

I do notice the fast starts though! If the course is not overly demanding I plan to ride a bit harder at the start to take advantage of faster groups and then try to hang on as long as possible. They often naturally settle down to a more sustainable pace anyway. If the course is really tough I just ride my own pace from the start and pass all the bodies later!