View Single Post
Old 07-09-21, 09:20 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
...Later I had trouble sleeping because my heart rate was quite elevated even 6 hours post ride...
Years ago, in Bastrop Tx, I pulled over on a country road to talk to a Touring Rider who was sitting next to a fully loaded bike in the weeds. I approached him slowly, as we do in Texas, and asked if he was OK. He softly said, "Can't handle the heat...". He was wet with sweat, not breathing to fast, but moving very slow. Still it was obvious if nothing else his brain was struggling. Without asking, and with allot of struggle, loaded his bike into the back of my truck and then helped him into the cab. In the cab he was cooling off fast and by the time we got to Smithville (12 miles) he was talking normal, but with a heavy east coast accent. I unloaded him at the local grocery store. A couple of the local ranchers I knew were examining his ride/load, and asking questions of this guy who talked funny. It was only about 85°F.

The heat in many ways is relative. If your heart rate was elevated six hours after your ride then, RATS... Ya screwed up. Having done this myself more than a few times I realize this kind of stuff sneaks up on us. Like that hill you attack and then at the top start getting a little woozy as those veins in your neck thump. Or that time you thought you could ride in the snow.

And as we get older, we dam sure gotta ride smarter. Sure glad your OK...