View Single Post
Old 07-09-21, 01:04 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 4,995 Times in 3,087 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
A couple of years ago, I got caught up in the GFNY going North through a part of Haverstraw while I was on a ride (if I'd known the ride was that day, I'd have chosen a different route). I was with a clump of 80 or so riders, and I couldn't get away from them fast enough. JHFC, the stupidity I saw in those 5 minutes still boggles my mind. Later in my ride (North Mountain Road, on my way back) I got passed by the front group, about 15 or so riders, they were fine (for the couple of seconds it took them to pass me).

IME, the maximum number of riders in a "good" group is around 6 or so. Much beyond that, the likelihood that there is at least one a**hole who doesn't know what the feck they're doing approaches unity. Of course, I'm too slow to keep up with the really expert riders, so I'm sure this doesn't hold true for many faster groups.
It sounds like the US is not the place to be doing this type of event! I'm usually in the front third of the field, but certainly not in the seriously fast groups. I haven't personally seen any of this dangerous riding and carnage on UK events. Although I have heard of nasty crashes happening. I just take it as it comes. I'll certainly ride in a group most of the time. It's one of the reasons I do these events.