Old 07-10-21, 09:23 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sorry, but this is all kinds of wrong because average speed of UCI riders is an absurd measure of innovation effectiveness. There were several innovations in the design of bikes that increased speed that were specifically banned by the UCI. The limits on speed are almost entirely dictated by two different factors -- the power of the motor (which really can't be redesigned without genetic engineering or PED) and wind resistance. The latter is readily addressable as an engineering matter through posture changes and/or cowling, but the UCI has determined that certain advances in those (y'know, the ones that actually work) are out of bounds for safety or other reasons. I'm not here to argue about whether UCI should have done this, but to point out that UCI has essentially frozen the basic technology at a certain point, leaving engineering to be limited to redesigning things that can only have very marginal effects on speed.

Taking this out of the racing perspective, the big advances, such as they are, in the area of consumer bike have really been in the ability to produce frames in all sorts of shapes, making a broader range of cycling activity accessible to the general public. Again, if we use speed as the measure of innovation, this will look terrible, but that's because the speed limitations could only be seriously overcome by putting riders inside of cowling or putting them on very low-profile recumbent bikes, and people aren't buying that stuff for practical reasons.

Sloping frames are practical, btw, because the materials have advanced to the point that the loss in structural strength caused by the shape is too small to matter. It's about fit and posture.

I tend to agree that disc brakes on road bikes are really a solution in search of a problem, but consumers seem to like them, so what do I know?
Sloping frames have been in continuous production since the 1880s. Second rate esthetically to my eye but all sorts of situations where a sloping top tube is the obvious solution. Which is why they have continued for over 130 years.

UCI has all sorts of rules I’d rather not defend. Most of those that riders like to hate on are purely for safety. The rule that gets the most attention and resistance is the one about keeping the saddle 5cm behind the BB. Very simply, sitting forward greatly increases the chances of flying over the handlebars when applying front brake. It’s physics. Many would rather deny physics than be told what to do. UCI has to draw line somewhere. Keeping the rule simple and universal is the only way to have a rule. Of course they screw themselves by enforcing erratically. The short rider who gets a DQ for being 4.5cm back has a real gripe. UCI has the choice of accepting a certain level of gripes or just having no rules.

Those who want to race with recumbents or with fairings can compete with IHPVA.
Likes For 63rickert: