View Single Post
Old 07-15-21, 11:23 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That's beside the point, the real issue is the reduction in drag figures for the item in question, for example one kind of skin suit vs. tight-fitting clothing. The formula you linked, like all formulas, is clearly vulnerable to gi/go. Manufacturers and marketers have every incentive in the world to make it look like the stuff they're selling has a noticeable effect, so if you use their equipment and methods for measuring the effects of anything including shaving, they may have built-in assumptions that grossly overstate the number being multiplied. You think it's just simple math to verify the .02 reduction figure you used for shaving? I saw that figure given as a result of a wind tunnel experiment done by Specialized, is that where you got it? Obviously, the closer that number is to zero, the less the differential in time at various speeds, so if Specialized's methods err on the high side, that's going to cook things in ways your "simple math" won't detect..
The question became not whether shaved legs offer an advantage but whether any reduction in CdA benefits a slower rider. A slower rider benefits more in time, that was my key point.

I have actually measured these sorts of things myself. Every change I make, I measure. Of course GI/GO is a problem. If you don't believe specialized wind tunnel data, ok. Google Swiss Side, they also measured it. It is pretty easy to measure the change in CdA from one helmet to another or one jersey to another. Once you have change in CdA, estimating the change in speed or time is easy.

Specialized isn't the only one to measure the effect of shaved legs. I have seen more like 8W. Specialized results surprised me as I said.