View Single Post
Old 07-15-21, 05:54 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_Smit
...About leg shaving...
Who needs to shave...

My first experience with hairless legs was in the 70's as a young 20 year old GI. I was ridding with some senior cyclists. They were old Italians, 50 or older, who had been part of the local "Liotto Cycling Group" but were no longer competing. Even at 20 it was hard for me to keep up with those guys. We had paused from a mid day ride on a mountain side north of Vicenza Italy. All the cyclists in the group were waiting for the down hill road to dry out little before proceeding. The wait was long as no one dared negotiate slick wet hairpin turns on a down run.

While we were waiting a few of the guys pulled out thier zippos and used the flame to burn off thier leg hairs. They were specific in the areas they burned the hair off. You could see old road burn scars in some of the areas. Mostly it was hips, knees, thighs, outer arms and such. It was odd as they continued to have normal length hair in other areas. They were amused at my startled observations.

So take it from the old guys. Clean skin on a wet, slick, downhill run, might be a good idea. And road burn is a bugger hair or no hair...